Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Power of Hydrogenated Fats

I don't know about any body else, but for me Thanksgiving stirs up memories of a golden brown bird just begging to be carved and devoured (mostly by me). One thing that has always gotten me was the name of the brand my mother has always gotten for Thanksgiving. Butterball. I'm a little weird when it comes to the concept of foodballs: meatballs and cheeseballs have never been appealing to me. I do keep in mind that Butterball's aren't actually the product being sold, but the fact that they named their company Butterball just makes me wonder what they were thinking. The name was trademarked in 1940, and nobody involved was name Joe Butterball or Mary Butterball. The best I can think is that back in 1940 the consumers weren't too concerned about heart health... that and who doesn't love the idea of butter on anything?

No comments:

Post a Comment