Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The power of previously acquired knowledge

I stumbled upon (not using stumbleupon.com believe it or not) a website that has a variety of advertisements. The majority of the ones I saw weren't even translatable for me, but a couple did catch my eye. One series of ads about a website (that I can't seem to log onto so I'm not even sure if it's real) called we-treat-aids.org uses genocidal figures like Stalin and Mao to compare death tolls between them and the disease AIDS.



This was fascinating to me because when I first glanced at it I was taken aback. Those names have such an evil connotation to them that is so deeply imbedded in my brain that I couldn't help but do a double take. This series of advertisements is brilliant because the advertisers are using knowledge that we had previously acquired through years and years of school to get their simple point across in a rather disturbing way.

No comments:

Post a Comment