Monday, July 4, 2011

Folgers returns

After doing some research for those advertisements I mentioned in my last post, I stumbled upon this Folgers gem. I've never seen a comic strip used as an advertisement before. It seems kind of like a transitional concept used between the age of print and the age of television to use bright colors and a storyline in print to draw in and entertain the audience.

My question is, was this advertisement ever taken seriously? Or were these always kind of laughable. The dialogue is painfully unnatural and everybody seems just a bit too happy about how great Folgers is... I mean, how can you confidently make a statement like "nothing adds so much to a meal" when it's so arbitrary and unprovable? I feel like it only subtracts from the advertisement.

No comments:

Post a Comment