Monday, July 4, 2011

Sexism and a Cup of Coffee

I was watching a movie the other day, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it. The movie had tidbits about advertising along with a lot on Alfred Hitchcock (who is, unrelated to advertising, a very fascinating man). What caught my attention the most were the Folger's coffee commercials from the 60's that they injected into the movie to break it up and give a sense of what advertising was like back then.

It was astounding for me to see how differently women were treated back then even through advertising. One man asked his wife in one of the commercials "how could such a pretty wife make such bad coffee?"

the following advertisement is actually one of the ones used in the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprIbx4QkPc
...Really?

What's more is that the wife not only takes the verbal abuse but in other advertisements she finds herself in the kitchen with her mother or friend crying because all she wants to be is a good wife and she can't even make a decent cup of coffee for her man.

I'm not by any means a feminist, but wow to Folgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment